Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital, formerly known as Albay Provincial Hospital was the first government hospital to be established in the Bicol Region. Originally built in 1918 as 10-bed US army station hospital, it was eventually donated to the Provincial Government of Albay and since then, it has gradually increased in structure, capacity and complexity. The oldest known structure of the hospital is the present-day administration building, which was first constructed in 1927 and inaugurated on May 27, 1928 as the Albay Provincial Hospital. The Gabaldon-type building with its distinctive high ceilings and large windows was actually bombed during the war in 1944, completely restored by 1950, but destroyed again in 1952 by typhoon Trix, one of the deadliest typhoons in the history of the Philippines. After it sustained heavy damage in 2006 due to typhoon Reming, it was repaired, renovated and reconstructed in 2008, and has kept its look since then. It was in 1973, under Department Order No. 94-A, that the Albay Provincial Hospital was designated as a training and teaching hospital. At that time, the hospital was operating at a 75-bed capacity; by 1975 the official bed capacity was increased to 150 beds with corresponding addition of personnel. Republic Act 8051 further upgraded the hospital into a tertiary national government facility, officially changing its name to Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital. Although RA 8051 was promulgated in 1994, its implementation only took place in 1997. that improvements were realized. To this day, although BRTTH is now approved to be a 600-bed hospital, it is still operating under an official bed capacity of 250, with a 300 implementing bed and 450 actual bed capacity.